Gynecology
SURGICAL TECHNOLOGY INTERNATIONAL XXVII

Postcoital Sperm Assessment
Comparative Study

MICHAEL J. PELEKANOS, MD
VICE CHAIRMAN
DEPARTMENT OF OBSTETRICS AND GYNECOLOGY
FORBES REGIONAL HOSPITAL
MONROEVILLE, PA

ABSTRACT
This postcoital sperm assessment study was performed over a 10 month time period (November 2014-August 2015). Fifteen couples enrolled in the study. The study was non-blinded, non-randomized, single-center comparison study comparing The Stork® (Rinovum Women’s Health, Monroeville, PA) to natural intercourse (NI), using the subjects as their own control/baseline. This was an efficacy study designed to compare the number of sperm in the cervical mucus following the use of The Stork conception aid with the number of sperm in the cervical mucus following natural intercourse. Subjects used both The Stork conception system and the natural intercourse method to evaluate concentrations of sperm in the cervical mucus. Post-coital test (PCT) data was collected demonstrating higher concentrations of sperm within the cervical mucus with The Stork conception system versus natural intercourse for 85% of test subjects in this study. Of the 15 couples enrolled in the study, 2 were lost to follow-up. Mean age for male subjects was 31.7 +/ 5.4 years of age and mean age for female subjects was 29.7+/- 5.4. The average sperm score value of the 85% of test subjects with higher sperm concentrations from The Stork was 3.23 times the score value of sperm concentration compared to natural intercourse. The remaining 15% of test subjects showed no change in sperm score value between The Stork and natural intercourse.

Conclusion: Post-coital data was collected demonstrating on average, a 3.23 higher value of sperm concentration at the cervix compared to the value of sperm concentration with natural intercourse, for 85% of study participants.

  • The remaining 15% of subjects saw no change in sperm concentration between the Stork and natural intercourse.